Wednesday 16 March 2016

Bike Miles: 11,000

For several years, I was averaging nearly 2,000 miles a year on my bike. Then two things happened. My office moved, adding another 3 miles and a very nasty hill to my commute, and I suffered my second bone-breaking bike crash. After recovering from the crash, I went from cycling 60+ miles a week down to about 20. This proved extremely problematic. By only cycling to work about once a week, I wasn't building up the endurance necessary for the 17 mile commute. Instead, I would cycle one day and spend the next two, at least, recovering from my exertions. Worse, I’d be so wiped out that I’d come home and could barely help my wife or play with my daughter. I would just collapse in a chair or on the floor. When winter hit, I pretty much packed it in altogether.

Spring is coming though, and I am determined. I need to break my muscles out of their funk, and I’m tired of wasting money driving back and forth to work. Last week I made the trip three times, and I’m going to attempt the same this week. My body is aching, and my legs are wobbly, but I am determined.

I got a little boost today, I passed the 11,000 mile mark on my cycle tally. Another decal for my bike! (well, I keep meaning to get some decals for my bike, but haven’t yet).

I’ll let you know how I get on!

2 comments:

  1. Stick to it! I've been thinking I need to do some distance on my bike as well. I use a bike to get around everywhere, but it's been a while since I just went out for a long distance ride for fun! As the snow melts and the days get longer I've been feeling like I need to get out on the open road!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job on getting back onto the bike.

    I have been doing a 16 mile (round trip) commute between 2-4 days per week. But in the San Francisco bay area I don't need to worry about snow!

    Cheers,
    wynr

    ReplyDelete